Sunday, July 20, 2014

Read the Instructions Before You Begin a Project!

There have been more times than I can count when I have asked my students to please read the instructions before starting an assignment, taking a test, or beginnning a project.  So you might ask me:  "Do you take your own advise?"  To which I would say, "Well, sometimes."

On this En Forreau project I must respond, "Not this time."  I have a word for you today--
READ THE INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE STARTING A PROJECT!

I've lost count the number of times that I have had to rip out stitches in this dress project. Thankfully, I have been able to correct my mistakes along the way, but tonight I made one that scared me a little.  I made a cut that could only be corrected by sewing the piece back on leaving a seam where there is not suppose to be one.  All in all, though, unless you saw the pattern instructions; you would not be able to determine that it was a miscalculation on my part!  Whew!
Tonight, for my bedtime reading guess what I will be reading???

So what did I accomplish in the little time that I worked on the dress?  I added tiny little pleats to the skirt of the dress and attached one side of the skirt to the bodice.  It looks like the pieces line up, so when I resume sewing, this is where I will begin.  Until next time, good night.




2 comments:

  1. So funny that you would post this now. Just yesterday I cut out and started sewing a project then realized the pattern on the fabric was upside down. Oh my, just glad to know that others make sewing mistakes too. Now, I need more fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea! I'm so glad to have a post! I've only had like 4 in as many years. Look, that part about reading over the directions before you start is a MUST. Fortunately, I had enough fabric--it doesn't take that much!!

      Delete